They’re Just Numbers…

20120418-203043.jpg

on a piece of paper.

Last week was Big Brother’s D-Day (Diagnosis Day). When the psychologist showed Big Brother’s test scores to us, I was caught off guard a bit. Now don’t get me wrong, I’ve always kept a realistic outlook when it comes to Big Brother. But still, I think that some of the scores surprised me.

Perhaps these numbers can place Big Brother on a scale or quantify his IQ. And perhaps they are necessary for helping him obtain the services that he desperately needs. But at then end of the day, I have to let them go. They are just that–numbers on a page. They can’t possibly hold within them the depth of who he is and what he is capable of.

One of the things that has stuck with me is the statement that went something like this: “you know, if we look at his history, he has everything in the world stacked against him. He couldn’t possibly have any more points racked against him if he tried. But I’m not saying that we should abandon all hope….”

Pu-lease. I guess they don’t know who they’re talking to ;-) If there’s one thing I’ve got, it’s boat-loads of hope. And time, and compassion, and perserverance. Besides, there’s no way to quantify the Big Brother I know and love. I wouldn’t even try.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies with in us.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 thoughts on “They’re Just Numbers…

1. nancy

how have I read this post 10 times and not commented yet?
    Thank you for continuing to be an inspiration. Your son is AMAZING! So are you.
    nancy

2. Kelly Raudenbush

I remember reading my son’s evaluation report for the first time–I think I lost my breath when I read a bunch of labels that were now a part of his file. It was such a hard year for me as we tried so hard to figure out what was going on inside him and what he needed. I so applaud your hope and expectation of great things for and from your boy!

3. Rhoda

So glad for the perspective you are taking. Numbers (and labels) are usually our way of trying to make sense for things that don’t always make sense. We are so much more than numbers, labels, or anything else we “tack” on to someone. All of you are so much better for having each other. That’s why God put you together as a family. He will see all of you through.

4. heavensent2ourhearts

Hope and faith are all you need. God knew you and your husband would look beyond the numbers for that precious little boy. I look forward to watching him grow and learn beyond the doctors expectations. I think everyone should clear a path for your family as you will only be moving forward and not stumbling on their words!

5. beechcreekproject

There is no number that can be placed on the human spirit and what is possible with the love and support of others. Time and time again incredible endeavors are achieved under what some lableled impossible circumstances. Throw out all the numbers, keep doing what you are doing and Big Brother will surprise us all in the end. Good luck and you are an inspiration to us all.

6. Gretchen O'Donnell

YOU are the perfect one to prove that the only number that matters for him is the number of hugs, kisses, cuddles, and affirmations he recieves each day! (I don’t mean to be sappy…just encouraging!!!)